What's a Counterbalance?
A counterbalance is a torsion spring system designed to take the effort out of lifting and supporting lids, covers, countertops and electro-mechanical equipment. The torsion spring counteracts downward force, (weight of lid), and provides precise balance for user control. Typical placement is to mount the counterbalance assembly to the base and the cam assemblies to the lid. When the lid is in motion, mechanical energy is distributed out of the torsion spring and the cams to neutralize the weight of the lid.
- Heavy copier and printer lids
- Medical and diagnostic equipment
- Covers for industrial machinery
- Food preparation machines
- Fold-up or fold-down work surfaces
- Flip-up counters in restaurants, bars and other venues
- Armored vehicle hatches
- Other applications
Video: See how a counterbalance assists in lifting, lowering and balancing the lid on a drive-through drawer.
Drawings: The counterbalance is mounted to the back of the base and the lid.
Need more information? Click here.